Thursday, February 23, 2012

Falling Asleep

Last week Bret drove with some people in his department to South Carolina.  He presented a poster at a conference there.  It went really well, and I'm glad he had the opportunity. I stayed home with the kids. My birthday was on Friday and I was sad that Bret couldn't be there.   Although I had some really great friends make the entire day awesome for me, so I was not lonely at all.  Except at night.  I could not sleep AT ALL.  It was miserable. Having that experience caused me to reminisce my life encounters with sleep.

 I have had issues with sleeping for as long as I can remember.  When I was very young, it was because I was afraid.  I think E.T. started that off for me.(I saw it when I was 6 and it freaked me out bad.) I used to sleep with my back to the wall and the covers over my head with a little hole for my mouth to breath through.  Then a kind client of my Dad's gave me a large stuffed rabbit and he became the protective barrier between me and the wall-less side of the bed.  I could then sleep with my head above the covers.  I loved that rabbit. I don't know what happened after that, but I just could not fall asleep.  For years.  Some nights were better than others and I did go through phases that were good an bad, so it was not like I lived my entire life not sleeping. Also, once I was asleep I slept fine, but it was that initial falling asleep that had been my trouble.

Anyway, when I married Bret, falling asleep got easier.  It continued to improve as the years rolled on, I think partly due to having babies and knowing that if I DIDN'T FALL ASLEEP NOW, I WON'T GET ENOUGH. Now, In my opinion, I fall asleep pretty fast.  Bret doesn't think I fall asleep fast.   Yes, it is true that he has heard me fall asleep before him only a few times, but I say, compared to how it was, things are great!

He has been gone at night before, and while I usually have a hard time falling asleep when he is gone, this was the worst of all. I am even too embarrassed to write on here what time I actually fell asleep!  I don't like to think I am that dependant on him to fall asleep!  It made me think that I was completely messed up and would have to start all over again when Bret got home.  Luckily I have been sleeping great since he has returned. I am very happy about that.  But when I was laying there in bed in the middle of the night I thought, some people do this every night.  Some people always have trouble sleeping.  I empathize, I really do.  Bret told me I should take some sleep medicine the next time he goes away.  I might.

4 comments:

Shannon said...

Your movie was "ET," mine was "The Congo." Totally get.

So glad you can sleep now, and that Mr. Bret is home. Hooray for husbands being home! Hope you have many more sleep filled nights in your future.

Jenny said...

That's crazy. I had no idea. probably because I wasn't your room roomie. I'm glad you have no trouble falling asleep again now that he's back.

The Hill Family said...

While reading that post I had a memory of staying at your grandma's house in the basement on the fold out couch with you. For some reason as a child her basement scared me, so I had the hardest time falling asleep. I think it was because of the stories Lela would tell us about your grandma's grand father clock. We sure had so much fun together. I miss you.
Don't worry when my husband is gone I have a hard time falling asleep. It is usually 2 am by the time I fall asleep.

Melissa B said...

I don't sleep well when Jonny is gone. It's weird, because it's so nice to sprawl out, right? But it feels off. I always stay up late watching tv or reading since I know I will not fall asleep quickly.

Glad your hubby is home and your family is completely darling.