Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Tornadoes and Sunshine

So there have been a few things going on here. One big thing was that our city had a tornado Wednesday night. It was only an F1 tornado but it was freaky. It touched down about 2 miles from us (we didn't know until the next day). We heard 5 tornado sirens that evening. Bret and I have NO experience with this sort of thing and have decided to be better prepared from now on. At one point Bret looked out the window and saw a green light coming from the lightning in the sky. It was weird, it was hardly windy where we were, but just 2 miles away, HUGE trees were being uprooted, mobile homes being destroyed, and roofs were being torn away. Luckily no one was killed and just 17 were injured. Even though we felt scared and vulnerable that night, we had no idea how vulnerable we actually were. The next evening we drove over to where the tornado touched down and surveyed the damage. I forgot the camera though! I wish I had it because it was shocking at actually how much this supposed small tornado did! There was debris everywhere for miles. Houses by then had covered their torn spots with tarp. Everyone’s yard was covered in branches and uprooted trees. There were some HUGE trees that got uprooted. It is just crazy. I can't believe how close it was! I think that will be the closest I will ever get to a tornado or at least I hope.

Before this though, Landon turned 1!!! (I am WAY late) Another crazy thing! It's so sad, but I love seeing him grow up at the same time. He has such a happy personality. He loves to laugh and have people laugh at him. He is still huge and we love it. We celebrated by having some friends over and I made a cake. The cake was way too sweet so the next week I made a beautiful and delicious angel food cake and we had that with whipped cream and strawberries. I wanted to get a sand and water table, but they are so expensive and I didn't want sand mixed with water which undoubtedly would have happened. I was lucky enough to get 2 free homemade ones from our community center. They had a clinic to build it yourself but we missed it, but they had some left over and gave them to me. They are pretty cool, made with pvc pipe and a plastic bin. Bret also spray painted the stands to look even better. We got some cool water toys (plus some from grandma and grandpa) and all the kids love playing with it.

We had a great weekend. Kade and Bret went to Lowes "build and grow" free clinic that we signed up for to build a wooden airplane. The clinics are free 2 times a month on Saturdays and they give you different things to build. It was crowded and so they took it home to build it. Kade loved it. While they were building Maggie and I painted our nails. AND Bret and I went on a date.

We have been having so much fun and doing so much together as a family. It's like a whole new life. Having Bret around is so fun. Here are some more fun things we've been up too: swimming at the pool, playing in our back yard with sprinklers and splash pads with their neighbor friend, planted a “raised” garden, played games, did some deep cleaning, gone on picnics, ridden bikes, and a few other things.






































7 comments:

Romney Family said...

they sure are scary aren't they. We feel so fortunate to have weathered the storms here as well. So many people haven't been as lucky!! Cute pictures of all of you and the kids are getting so big!!!

Jinny and Mick said...

Look how big your kids are!! Tornadoes are scary! We've been lucky, too, but I freak out now big time!! We got a really bad storm a few months ago and have to have a new roof and fence, but no tornado. Enjoy your summer-are you guys going to be home at all??? We'll be home all of July.

Lindsey and Isaac said...

I think tornadoes are so scary and I've never even been close to one. Glad it missed you guys by those 2 miles! You all look so good and it looks like you are having so much fun. I can't believe how big Landon is!

Swensen Family said...

It was good to get a fun update!! I'm glad that you are spending some much needed family time and can't wait to see you guys soon. Miss ya tons and glad that you are all safe and sound! Cute pictures of everyone.

Burnhams said...

Happy Birthday Landon! I am jealous that you all have weather good enough to be swimming!
Glad you made it through the tornado safe! I have heard the sky looks green righ before a tornado hits, that is probably what he saw!

Sarah said...

Happy Birthday to Landon! Sounds like you guys are having so much fun. You & Bret look so cute together. So glad you got to go on a date. Those are great times.

Luke and Lacee said...

Tornadoes! Yikes! Glad you were all safe. Those water tables look so fun, need to get my kids some!