Friday, October 30, 2009

Pumpkins, Party and Project

We carved pumpkins for FHE on Monday. Unfortunately Bret has been incredibly busy and has hardly had any time with us at all. So, due to his demanding school, he only got his holes punched out of the pattern he chose. It happened to be one of the hardest patterns too. The kids also ditched me....for bed. It was a lot of work carving those pumpkins! It took me all evening and my wrists were so tired at the end!

They had fun while it lasted though.



Our ward party was on Wednesday and I couldn't think of anything that was cheap that we could be. We thought we wouldn't dress up, but then I found this idea-Popeye and Olive Oyl! It was pretty easy to put together (I did it in the few hours before the party). Just cut out some felt designs and temporarily sewed them onto Bret's church shirt and belt. I put nylons on Bret's arms and stuffed them and drew a tatoo on one of them. Mine was super easy and I had the perfect, huge boots too! We even won an award! I didn't get any pics of just the kids, but I will post those after halloween.



We have hardly any halloween decorations so I made this a while back out of felt and those spongy little decor things. The kids always fight over who gets to put it on for the day. I didn't expect Maggie to be that interested in it, but man does she have a fit when she can't do it. I found the idea off of the pottery barn site and kind of changed it a little to what I wanted. I still have a little bit to do on it because I ran out of some string, but I figured I might as well post a pic now before halloween is over.

12 comments:

Burnhams said...

I love your costumes! your halloween decoration is cute too!

Romney Family said...

What a great idea for the costumes!! You both look great!!

Susie Stout said...

Wow, creative costumes... awesome that you could do that in a few hours. Hope you had a great time!

Never A Dull Moment said...

so cute! you are a great mom and wife... sewing is not one of my strong points, I admire you for it!

Swensen Family said...

You are always so clever! That calander is way cute I want one too!! Wish we were closer and you could teach me everything you know. Hope you and the kids have a great Halloween! Nice to have an update...I have been thinking a lot about you lately! Hang in there with Bret's busy schedule!

Lindsey and Isaac said...

Way cute costumes! What a good idea! And the Halloween decoration looks great too. We don't have any Halloween decorations either. I'm sorry about Bret's busy schedule. Isaac has been soo busy too. It makes it SO hard! Wish we lived closer so we could hang out husbandless together. :) You guys all look great.

Luke and Lacee said...

Look at you go Megan, you pumkin carvin', costume sewin', and decor makin' little mama! Awesome! I love your costumes, totally cute!

Ashley Wray said...

You guys make a cute little Popeye couple! Carving pumpkins is hard work, I decided next year we're painting them. Your Halloween calendar is sure cute, and your little kiddos are as well. Glad you are all doing well!

Romney Family said...

I am so glad you guys liked my apple crisp recipe!!

Sarah said...

You are so creative! I hate how much costumes are... so nice frugality there.

Melissa said...

Adorable costumes and decor! I hear ya on the pumpkin carving. My wrist was so tired after all was said and done. I guess it's worth it in the end.

Jess said...

Your Halloween calendar is so cute!! I made one like that copied from Pottery Barn as well...it took forever. Then I sold it on Etsy last year. I really wish I would have just kept it since it took me so long to make :) I have the stuff to make another, but it obviously didn't happen this year. Hope you guys are doing great...it's been too long!