Tuesday, February 24, 2009

3 things..

I have a few items to blog about....

1. February is a birthday month in our family! We have Brother-in-law Shane (1st), New Nephew Taylor(9th), Brother Isaac (10th), Niece E. (14th), Bret's sister BJ (15th), Me (17th), Niece K. (18) Bret's mom Vurvian (21st), Niece Lily (22), and Nephew Kason (28th)!! I'm probably even leaving someone out! Anyway, HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ALL! Exactly a week ago we celebrated my birthday. Bret had been so so busy studying for his comprehensive exam-one that he has to pass in order to get his degree)- and we had just gotten back from the three day weekend at my parent's. So with Bret pretty much non-existant around here(other than to clean up after :), I was busy as well and we didn't have much time to do anything birthday-like. Bret did make me breakfast in bed though, which was very nice. He might have made me a cake from a box, but I am sort of picky when it comes to those and my birthday cake....I think I'd opt for no cake. So I made this yummy gingerbread crock pot pudding cake. It was pretty good. We also went out to eat at a Mexican place. Then we came home and snuggled up on the couch and ate cake. Here is the recipe if you want it. As a side note, I would almost double all of the spices(It was good, but I think it could use more spice) and keep a close eye on it because mine was a little too done and I cooked it quite a bit less than what it said to.
1/4 cup butter, softened1/4 cup sugar
1 egg white
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 cup molasses
1 cup water
1 1/4 cup flour
3/4 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ginger
1/4 tsp. salt (I wouldn't add more of this)
1/4 tsp. allspice
1/8 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 cup chopped pecans (didn't have any, and it was still good)

Topping:
6 Tablespoons brown sugar
3/4 cup hot water
2/3 cup butter, melted

In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until fluffy. Beat in egg white and vanilla.
Combine molasses and water until blended.
Combine the flour, b.s., cinnamon, ginger, salt, allspice and nutmeg; add to creamed mixture alternately with molasses mixture, beating well after each addition. Fold in pecan.
Pour into a greased 3-qt. slow cooker. Sprinkle with brown sugar. Combine hot water and butter, pour over batter (do not stir).
Cover and cook on high for 2 to 2 1/2 hours or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Turn off heat. Let stand for 15 min. Serve warm. Top with whipped cream, cream or ice cream.
Oh and it's best right after you cook it, we tried it the next day and didn't like it as much.




.


2. Maggie is crawling!!! Not very good, but she can move. It's so fun to watch her go through all these different stages. I have enjoyed having her so much. She is such a wonderful addition to our family and we really CAN'T get enough of her. PLUS, she is a really easy baby and so laid back. She will be 8 months old tomorrow. She cut 4 new teeth this month making a total of 6 teeth!

Here is the proof: (oh and she is just in her tights because her dress was getting in her way)

.


3. We quite possibly could be moving to Indiana! Bret got accepted there and they are offering him SO much more funding that we expected from anywhere! It's a great program and he has had a contact there who has really... looked out for Bret with the whole applying there situation. He is also a member of our church. The school is located in a town about an hour from Indianapolis and is about the same size as Missoula. This makes me happy, because I am just not a fan of living in a huge city. (Although I will if that's what happens.) Bret is also on the wait list for Minnesota so we will see what happens! It is so exciting and nerve racking at the same time! I really have mixed emotions about the whole thing and REALLY wish we knew for sure where we are going to live for the next (possibly) 5-ish years of our lives. I guess we will soon enough. Anyway-WAY TO GO BRET!

12 comments:

Swensen Family said...

That is a lot of b-days in one month! That is great to hear about Bret getting accepted, hope all goes well and keep us posted on those big events. Hope you had a great birthday and I still can't believe how fast Maggie is growing up!

Lindsey and Isaac said...

That is alot of birthdays! Your cake sounds really good, I'll have to try it. It's hard when your husband is gone so much, I totally know what you mean about them being non existent except for clean up! I can't believe Maggie is crawling and has 6 teeth! She has grown up so fast! It looks like Kade has alot more hair too! Wow, Indiana! Funding does help so much. Let us know what you guys decide.

SUSIE E. STOUT said...

Sad I couldn't see the video. Wow that is a scary move, we're not at that point and I'm glad but am nervous already for when the time comes to move all over for schooling, good luck to you hope you get the place you want.

Megs said...

Happy birthday and congratulations!! It's always exciting to see what the future brings, good luck with everything!!

Burnhams said...

yeah for maggie! and for Brett too. I hope you figure it all out soon. we will miss you when you go!

Sarah said...

1. Happy birthday! That cake looks good.
2. Way to go, Maggie. Ella is one month younger and has one tooth and doesn't even think about crawling... aren't kids so different? I love it.
3. Way to go Bret! That is awesome. I hope things work out and that you like Indiana. Good luck.

Melissa said...

What a busy month for you guys. Ours if kind of like that in mid Feb and it extends to mid march between our birthdays and anniversarys. Crazy, but fun times to celebrate.

That cake looks good, although I've never had molasses in my cupboards. Congrats on getting into Indiana. That's always good news. What an adventure you will go on wherever you end up at school.

Jinny and Mick said...

Happy Birthday! That cake looks good! Hey, remember when Cathy and I made you breakfast in bed??? Good times, that's fun Maggie is crawling. Wow, Indiana, I hope everything goes well!

tialovesmontana said...

Is it Bloomington? That's where Patty went and she LOVED it there...

MormonsMadeSimple said...

Hi Bret
I stumbled across your blog on LDS BLOGS. I thought you might be interested in a site my wife and I just built called MormonsMadeSimple.com, which uses simple, explanatory videos to explain the Mormon faith. Feel free to feature any of these videos on your blog, or just share them with non-member friends. We're hoping these videos will be missionary tools to help members share their beliefs. Anyway, sorry to spam your comments section. I couldn't find any contact information for you on your blog.

- Doug & Laurel

Melissa said...

I am so glad we are blogging buddies now too! I love seeing Maggie crawling...she is WAY ahead of Cecilia. We are so excited for you guys with PhD schools, it's just great to get accepted and get funding (esp the money part - that always helps.) But we will miss you guys next year.

Shelly Linford said...

Maggie is so cute. I can't believe she is crawling. If you do move to Bloomington, I am sure it will be a wonderful experience. I used to date someone that got his Masters there and he loved it. I will have to try your recipe for gingerbread cake sometime.
Shelly